LONDON: Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva will miss the rest of the season after injuring his knee in the League Cup win against Chelsea on Tuesday, the Premier league club said.
The Brazilian was carried off on a stretcher in the second half of the 2-0 victory at Stamford Bridge and subsequent scans have revealed damage to his left anterior cruciate ligament.
“The Brazil international will undergo surgery and unfortunately be ruled out for the remainder of the current campaign,” Liverpool said in a statement on Thursday.
The holding midfielder had started 12 of Liverpool’s 13 Premier League matches this season.
- Liverpool recall Shelvey as Lucas awaits scan
- Gerrard returns after long Liverpool absence
- Ferguson has Vidic question mark before ‘game of season’
- Liverpool and Man United share spoils in 1-1 draw
- League Cup quarter-finals: Liverpool vs Chelsea, Arsenal vs Man City