LONDON (AP) – Wayne Rooney says he is not to blame for the red card to Vincent Kompany that helped Manchester United beat Manchester City 3-2 in the FA Cup.
City manager Roberto Mancini said Rooney pressured referee Chris Foy into showing a 12th-minute red card after Kompany’s two-footed challenge on Nani.
But Rooney wrote on Twitter: “Funny how people think i got kompany sent off. Im not ref. i didn’t give red card. But it was a clear red card. 2 footed tackle.”
Mancini said City would appeal against the red card and Kompany’s four-game ban.
But United defender Rio Ferdinand also used Twitter to defend Foy’s decision.
“How can there be any debate about the red card? You leave the ground with a two-foot tackle (equals) Red card. Fact.”
- Rooney’s England place in jeopardy after red card
- United win Cup thriller despite 10-man City’s fightback
- Rooney quick off the mark as United go back on top (Update)
- Rooney settles derby with spectacular goal!
- Rooney steeled for Anfield boo boys