DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP): FIFA has ruled that Iraq fielded an ineligible player in an Olympic football qualifying win last November, and awarded a 3-0 victory to United Arab Emirates.
Iraq won the Nov. 27 match 2-0 but was found guilty of fielding defender Jasim Faisal, who should have been suspended for that game after receiving two yellow cards in two previous matches.
This was the second time this month a team from the region was forced to forfeit a qualifier for fielding an ineligible player. Oman was awarded a win over Qatar after the teams initially played to a draw.
The UAE is tied with Uzbekistan at the top of Group B with two matches to go.
- Ineligible player costs Qatar Olympic qualifier
- Struggling China need to keep qualification dream alive against Iraq
- Olympic qualifier: Malaysia 2 Bahrain 3
- Olympic qualifier – Malaysia 0 Syria 2
- Iraqi goalkeeper frustrates Australia Olympic hopes