MIDDLESBROUGH, England (AP) – Sunderland will meet Arsenal in the fifth round of the FA Cup after winning 2-1 at Middlesbrough in a replay from Stephane Sessegnon’s extra-time winner.
The Benin forward struck in the 113th minute to take Sunderland through to a last-16 clash – its first in eight years – with Arsenal on Feb. 18 at the Stadium of Light.
Sunderland took a 42nd-minute lead through Jack Colback’s left-footed strike, but Lukas Jutkiewicz’s first Boro goal took the match beyond 90 minutes.
Sunderland manager Martin O’Neill says “I thought we were the better all-round football team” and “it’s a fantastic effort by the players. I thought they did exceptionally well.”
- Sessegnon grabs winner as Sunderland beats Swansea
- Cattermole faces mixed emotions in Cup derby
- Van Persie on the spot as Arsenal beat Villa
- Sunderland rout Wigan 4-1 in EPL
- Wolves and Birmingham contest FA Cup replay