PARIS: Argentina’s Lionel Messi is the world’s highest-paid footballer, followed by David Beckham of England and Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo, according to France Football magazine.
Barcelona talisman Messi earns some €33mil a year with a €10.5mil salary, €1.5mil in bonuses and €21mil in advertising and other contracts.
Former Manchester United midfielder Beckham, now at LA Galaxy, takes home €31.5mil, largely due to his €26mil worth of advertising and endorsement contracts.
Real Madrid’s Ronaldo earns €29.2mil, from a €13mil annual salary and €15.5mil from off-the-pitch revenue, France Football said in an article to be published on Tuesday.
Ronaldo’s coach at the Bernabeu, Portugal’s Jose Mourinho, topped the list of highest-earning managers with €14.8mil a year, followed by Paris St Germain’s Carlo Ancelotti (€13.5mil). — AFP
- Lionel Messi named world’s best player for 2011
- Messi set to win 3rd straight world player honor
- Messi, from scrawny kid to world’s best player
- Spain dominate World Player of the Year shortlist
- Platini: Messi needs to win World Cup to be the greatest