MUNICH (AP) – Bayern Munich sporting director Christian Nerlinger says Bastian Schweinsteiger is “highly unlikely” to play against Hannover in the Bundesliga on Saturday because of a right ankle injury.
Schweinsteiger pulled out of training on Thursday, but the dapd news agency reported Nerlinger as saying “it won’t be a problem (lasting) several weeks.”
The 27-year-old Schweinsteiger is struggling to recover full fitness after tearing a right ankle ligament in a 2-0 German Cup win at Stuttgart on Feb. 8.
After making two substitute appearances, Schweinsteiger sat out Bayern’s 6-0 Bundesliga win at Hertha Berlin last weekend, and Wednesday’s 4-2 penalty shootout win over Borussia Moenchengladbach in the German Cup semifinals on Wednesday.
- Modest Schweinsteiger swimming against the tide
- Bayern vulnerable as Basel look for upset
- Bayern Munich plays Hannover in Bundesliga
- Bayern Munich’s Bundesliga title hopes fading fast
- Bayern and Dortmund in war of words after Reus transfer