PETALING JAYA: National coach Datuk K. Rajagopal has welcomed the chance to play English Premier League giants Arsenal again in a friendly match at the National Stadium in Bukit Jalil on July 24.
Last year, the Gunners thrashed the national team 4-0 and Rajagopal hopes that the players will put up a better showing against the North London club.
“It’s hard to get quality friendlies and this match will be a good test as we prepare to defend our AFF Suzuki Cup crown in November,” said Rajagopal,
The national team will play Sri Lanka in a friendly on April 28 at Shah Alam Stadium but Rajagopal will be without Kelantan, Terengganu and Kedah players who will be involved in the FA Cup semi-finals on May 1.
“We will only have two strikers — Ahmad Shakir Ali and Ahmad Fakri Saarani — available. I will request Pelita Jaya to release Safee Sali for the match,” said Rajagopal.
- Under-23 reserves easily beat Red Giants
- Ahmad Shakir saves Malaysia the blushes with late equaliser
- Khairul eager to relive fond memories at hostile Senayan
- Baddrol eager to play in Indonesia
- Forces ready to take on the giants after massive re-branding exercise