MILAN (AP) – Veteran striker Alessandro Del Piero looks determined to end his Juventus career on a high as the Serie A title race heads into the home straight.
In his final season with Juventus, Del Piero came on as a substitute to score the winning goal in a 2-1 victory over Lazio on Wednesday that propelled his team back to the top of the standings.
Juventus and Del Piero announced late last year that the player will leave the club at the end of the season.
Del Piero says “to draw or lose the game would have been football suicide” and “I hope it turns out to be one of the most important goals I’ve scored in my career.”
Juventus leads defending champion AC Milan by point and plays last-place Cesena on Sunday. Milan hosts Genoa on Saturday.
- Del Piero’s goal steers Juventus into Cup semi-finals
- Juve under pressure to reconsider Del Piero role
- Del Piero the hero as Juve retake top spot
- Buffon, Del Piero lead Juve to win over Inter
- Del Piero’s goal helps Juve into cup semi-finals