TEHRAN: Women in Iran are being banned from watching live public screenings of Euro 2012 football games because of an “inappropriate” environment where men could become rowdy, a deputy police commander said on Sunday.
“It is an inappropriate situation when men and women watch football in (movie) theatres together,” said Bahman Kargar, Iran’s deputy police commander in charge of social affairs, according to the ISNA news agency.
“Men, while watching football, get excited and sometimes utter vulgar curses or tell dirty jokes,” he said. “It is not within the dignity of women to watch football with men.” — AFP
- Our cops praised for fight against illegal sports betting
- FAM to combat bribery with cops
- Ajax request women and children for replay
- Canadian host cities for women’s World Cup unveiled
- Top U.S. women’s league suspends 2012 season