BANGKOK: Thailand defeated Malaysia 2-0 in the AFF Suzuki Cup second-leg, semi-finals match at the Supachalasai Stadium here on Thursday.
With the victory, the Thais qualified for the final against Singapore on a 3-1 aggregate victory.
Malaysia’s fate was sealed in the 43rd minute of the match, when Mohamad Fadhli Shas was sent off after picking up a second yellow card.
Although the score was tied 0-0 at half-time, it was just a matter of time before the Thais made their advantage count.
This came in the 61st minute, when Teerasil Dangda ran past the Malaysian defence to strike home with a stiff grounder. Theerathon Bunmathan was then on target five minutes later to make it 2-0.
The first leg of the semi-finals in Kuala Lumpur on Sunday ended in a 1-1 draw.
- AFF Suzuki Cup: Malaysia 1 Thailand 1
- Suzuki Cup: We are all pumped up to win title, warns Thailand’s Teerasil
- SuZuki Cup: We know how Thailand play, says Malaysia coach Rajagopal
- Thailand switching venue to accommodate their fans for semi-final and final matches
- Suzuki Cup – Thailand need a draw against Vietnam to top Group A