LONDON: Premier League strugglers Wigan signed Spanish goalkeeper Joel Robles on loan from Atletico Madrid until the end of the season on Thursday.
Robles initially joined Wigan for a trial period and Latics manager Roberto Martinez was impressed enough to bring the 22-year-old into his first-team squad.
He will provide competition for Wigan’s first-choice goalkeeper Ali al-Habsi and reserve Mike Pollitt.
“Atletico Madrid and Wigan Athletic have reached an agreement so that Joel Robles, after a trial period with the English club, will play on loan until June 30 with the Premier League team,” a statement on Atletico’s website announced.
“The goalkeeper will return to the ‘rojiblanco’ at the end of this loan period.”
Robles has yet to break into the Atletico first team on a regular basis, with on-loan Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois the preferred choice of Madrid boss Diego Simeone. -AFP
- Wigan sign Miyaichi from Arsenal on season-long loan
- ‘Keeper’s saves earns Santander draw with Atletico
- Atletico agree to sign Turkey midfielder Emre
- Chilean Henriquez joins Wigan on loan from Man Utd
- Atletico sign Uruguay forward Rodriguez from Porto