KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia put up a poor display losing 0-2 to Qatar in the Asian Cup Group D qualifying round match at Al-Sadd Stadium in Doha, Qatar on Thursday.
The Tigers who arrived in Doha without injured key players Norshahrul Idlan Talaha and Mohd Safee Sali failed to match the speed of the squad called “The Maroons’.
The best chance for scoring for Malaysia came in the 20th minute but the header by Mohd Amri Yahyah from a cross by Mohd Khyril Muhymeen Zambri went wide
Qatar went ahead in the 54th minute when a free kick taken by Khalfan Ibrahim hit the Malaysian wall and was deflected into goal.
Complacency of the Malaysian defence in the dying minutes of the match saw Qatar getting the second goal through substitute Yusef Ahmed.
Malaysian coach Datuk K Rajagopal is expected to call up Johor skipper Safiq Rahim who was suspended for one match to strengthen the midfield for the second group D match against Yemen on March 22 at Shah Alam Stadium. – Bernama
- Aidil wants Malaysia to give their best shot against Qatar
- Beating Qatar a big ask but Malaysia’s Mahalli refuses to give in
- Rajagopal without nine players for Qatar match
- Malaysia to face Iraq in first friendly ahead of Asian Cup qualifier
- Tough challenge awaits Malaysia in Asian Cup