JOHANNESBURG: Tebogo Langerman scored two minutes from the end of extra time to give Mamelodi Sundowns a 1-0 win at Ajax Cape Town Friday in the opening last-32 match of the South African FA Cup.
The defender took aim from long range and close to the touchline and his drive appeared to catch former Liverpool goalkeeper Sander Westerveld by surprise as it flew past him.
Ajax had the better chances during regulation time with Brazilian striker Wanderson prominent, but lost the initiative to the 2012 FA Cup runners-up in extra time.
Title-holders SuperSport United begin their defence Saturday at home to Moroka Swallows and Bidvest Wits confront Kaizer Chiefs in another all-Premiership clash. – AFP
- Spain penalty triumph draws record TV audience
- Angry Sundowns fans threaten Dutch coach Neeskens
- Meppen-Walters surprise inclusion for Man City
- Record breaking Barca beat Celta as Real play catch-up
- Gomis earns France surprise victory in Italy