(Reuters) – Everton beat third-tier FA Cup giantkillers Oldham Athletic 3-1 in an FA Cup fifth round replay on Tuesday to tee up an all Premier League quarter-final against Wigan Athletic.
Belgian Kevin Mirallas and Leighton Baines put the home side 2-0 up in the first half before Leon Osman added a third after the hour mark to show the gulf in class against Liverpool’s surprise fourth-round conquerors.
Matt Smith, who equalised in the last minute for Oldham in the 2-2 draw at home to Everton on February 16, struck with a header from a corner moments later to give the visitors hope but the hosts were never really troubled again in the final half hour.
Everton will next host Wigan on March 9 (12:45 p.m. british time).
(Writing by Tom Pilcher in London, Editing by Pritha Sarkar)
- Everton’s Gibson doubtful for Chelsea clash
- Oldham boss Dickov leaves a week after Liverpool scalp
- Wigan rallies to beat West Brom 2-1
- Liverpool upset might not save Oldham boss from the sack
- Liverpool stunned by Oldham to cap FA Cup shocks