PARIS (Reuters) – Rod Fanni has been called up to the France squad for the World Cup qualifying games against Georgia and Spain after Mathieu Debuchy was ruled out injured, coach Didier Deschamps said on Monday.
Debuchy sustained a thigh injury during Newcastle United’s 2-1 Premier League defeat at Wigan Athletic at the weekend.
"He’s out for both games. I called up Rod Fanni who will join us in the evening," Deschamps told a news conference.
Olympique Marseille full back Fanni has five caps for France.
Les Bleus, who are second in their World Cup qualifying Group I, take on Georgia and leaders Spain at the Stade de France on Friday and next Tuesday respectively.
(Reporting by Julien Pretot; Editing by Mark Meadows)
- Injured Clichy replaced by Tremoulinas in France squad
- France defender Debuchy signs for Newcastle
- France ready to test new-found confidence against Germany
- Injured Giroud to miss France v Finland qualifier
- Diaby set to miss France’s home game with Belarus